Friday, December 2, 2016

~Social Media Fast~

I remember the first time I received a text message, it was the summer of my junior year of high school from my friend Katrina and I was in the back seat of the pick-up headed down the interstate to Denver, CO for the National Junior Angus Show. I didn't even know I could talk to anybody but my parents on that thing let alone "text". Then came Myspace, do you remember the awesome backgrounds you could have, thinking back now I see where my love of digital marketing may have started. And of coarse we can't forget the beginning days of Facebook, I was a senior in high school when I finally jumped on the Facebook band-wagon, but reluctant because I couldn't have purple daisies for a background. I was always thankful for good friends who helped me with such an outstanding "About Me" section. I remember so clearly the part about not liking fatty bacon. Yes, it's true I have always been a bit of a trend setter, I was talking about bacon wayyyyy before it was cool. College brought Twitter and all I can say is thank goodness for the 140 charters that got me a handsome boy from Nebraska. A couple years ago I added my personal favorite to the mix Instagram and we can't forget about the occasional Snapchatting I find myself partaking in. That is a lot of things going on in the social media world. So many good things have come because of social media...a husband, a job, countless friends and keeping up with everything that is happening in Montana while being 550 miles away. Social media is a good thing, but to much of a good thing isn't always good.

I have been digging in deep to look at the messy not so fun aspects of life in 2016. Why am I the way I am, why do I have more unhappy days then happy days, why do I never feel like I am enough. Why do I feel like I am not smart enough, creative enough or fun enough. I know a huge part of that is comparison. I am also here to say the biggest sin I fight ever single day is ENVY. I know I am not alone there. So I have had my bible open with the silence blaring loud the last few months. It started small and then this Sunday as I prepared my heart for the Advent season I could hear him breaking through that silence and I knew what he was calling me to do. Sometimes God...he asks you to do big scary things. So until Christmas I am giving up social media. To some giving up social media is not big or scary, but for someone who's identity seem so interlaced with social media it is scary.

This morning is day 5 and I have only been on to update the ORIgen Facebook page. No mindless scrolling, no clicking here or there, straight to the page, post and I am out. The first two days I had to have typed Facebook in to my web browser a dozen times, just to get to the log in page and click exit. I deleted Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat from my phone. I pick up my phone to snap a picture for Instagram and then I just save it for my memory not for anyone else to see. Yesterday I redid my rubber band ball to combat what I believe is a little bit of adult ADD. I am excited to see what I gain from this Social Media Fast.  Especially once I get past this initial detox. I can't wait to share what I have learned and what I have gained when it is all over.

Do you ever feel like you need a break from social media? Maybe during the holidays is a great time to try it out. I would love it if you joined me.

P.S. You will still see me post about the blogs I write (hoping to have more time to write) but it will just be from a HootSuite so I won't get sucked in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts